Students preparing to welcome visitors to an open day.

​There is a lot of information you’ll need to know before you leave home. For example, how to apply for your visa, how to enrol, how to pay your tuition fees and how to apply as an Erasmus or Associate student.

If you can’t find the information you’re looking for please contact for further advice.

Key documents:
International admission and Tier 4 sponsorship policy
International student document checking and enrolment
International students police registration
International arrival form

Visas and immigration

Find everything you need to know about visas and immigration. We can advise you on Tier 4 visas, Student Visitor visas, General Visitor visa, registering with the police, working during your studies, working after your studies and reporting changes of circumstances to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

If you can’t find the information you need below, contact us for more information.

Tier 4 visa applications

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) operates a points based immigration system, commonly referred to as “PBS”. This system has five visa categories, or “tiers”, and the student category is called “Tier 4”. Students studying courses of more than six months (or Pre-sessional courses) should apply for a visa under Tier 4 of the Points Based System.

Key documents

Request a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
Applying for a Tier 4 visa outside the UK
Applying for a Tier 4 visa – frequently asked questions (out of country applicants)
Applying for a Tier 4 visa inside the UK
Applying for a Tier 4 visa – frequently asked questions (inside the country applicants)
Tier 4 financial requirements
Visa and immigration guide for students
Immigration health surcharge guidance
English Language Entry Requirements
English Language Policy​

Short-term study visa applications

If you are coming to study a course of less than six months, or you are coming to study a compulsory component of a longer course that does not attract visa support under Tier 4, you will need to apply for a short-term study visa.

For further information, please see the key document below.

Key documents

Applying for a short-term study visa 
Short-term study letter request form 
Short-term students' frequently asked questions

Standard visitor visa applications

The university does not generally permit any student to study while on a standard visitor visa. A standard visitor visa will, however, be appropriate for students who have completed their course, and who wish to return to the UK to attend a graduation ceremony.

The category of Standard Visitor will also be appropriate for family members and friends who wish to visit a Tier 4 student while they are in the UK. 

Key documents

Applying for a standard visitor visa to attend graduation
Inviting family members and friends to visit
Letter of Invitation sample

Contact us

By phone everyday 9:30am – 4:30pm
01242 714518

Download the Visa Advice Service's Code of Practice

Please note that all the information provided by the visa advice service is supplied in good faith. Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the information is accurate, the requirements relating to visas and immigration are complex and change frequently, often at short notice. We cannot therefore accept responsibility for any errors or omissions, nor for consequences arising from the use of the information on these web pages.

International arrival 2017

Congratulations on achieving your place to study with us here at the University of Gloucestershire. Living and studying in a different country is an exciting and life changing experience. To help you settle into your new life at university, meet new people and be ready to start your studies, you are invited to register for our International arrival that will take place over 2 days starting from Thursday 14 September 2017.  Please complete the International arrival form to register.

Please see our Frequently Asked Questions​ document for information about studying at the University of Gloucestershire and Living in the UK.