Care leavers advice


​We hold the Buttle Trust Quality Mark which demonstrates our commitment to care leavers. At the University of Gloucestershire we recognise that the transition into higher education is an enormous step for all new students, especially for those from a cared-for background.

We provide one point of contact to ensure that this process is as simple and supportive as possible even before you start. We will use your pathway plan (if you have one) and work in partnership with your personal adviser to co-ordinate a range of support and educational services.

Care leaver scholarships

In 2016/17 the University of Gloucestershire will be offering 15 care leaver scholarships of up to £9,000 per annum to students that have been in care. The Care Leavers Scholarship consists of a 50% fee waiver plus up to £4,500 per annum towards discounted halls of residence fees or as cash support in years 2 and 3 should students move into private accommodation, together with general living and study costs, which will be determined upon interview.

Please note, you must still apply for your Student Loan application even if you think you may be entitled to this scholarship.

Undergraduate funding

Find out more about loans, bursaries & scholarships here.

Useful links


The accommodation team ensures that care leavers are a priority group for entrance into Halls of Residence in their first year and the team has specialist housing advisers who help with finding suitable student accommodation in subsequent years.

Support services 

The university is committed to the welfare and development of all its students. Find out more about the university suppport services here.


The university can help with all money related queries, including the difference between loans, grants and bursaries, student finance applications, access to learning funds, hardship payments and scholarships.  

Care leaver contact

Lynn Rushmer is the Student Services Manager and the University of Gloucestershire's named contact for care-leaver support. She will get in touch with you prior to starting your course to help you plan ahead and ensure that any support requirements can be put in place before term starts.

Regardless of your support requirements, Lynn is available to meet with you regularly to check in on how you are doing and your experience so far.

Contact Lynn via email on or via telephone on 01242 715374